Friday, March 21, 2008

wicked inspiration

the subjects of marcel dzama’s illustrations have dueling sides: one being a playful reflection on childhood, the other a cynical, even horrific side that slithers through scenes of children, flora, and fauna... not only are these prints (usually water color or ink) beautifully executed, but the clothing in them is simple and stylish. the simplicity of lines and color are exactly what i work towards when sewing a piece myself (or shopping for that matter). the illustrations themselves could be from another era, let alone the clothes the subjects are wearing (most seem 1940s inspired). vintage! they make me want to chop my hair into a bob and throw on my best cotton dress. but instead i found pieces that reminded me of marcel’s subjects…purse from vintageous

No comments: